24 Feb 2010

Narcissism & fascism walking hand in hand

Last week I talked to my brother about a phenomenon that has become quite big in resent years. I'm talking about Narcissism. I think it is especially visible here on the internet, or maybe the phenomenon is channelled through the internet.

One example, this site called lookbook.nu. There you are supposed to upload pictures of your style and fashion sense, at the same time as you of course promote yourself.

If people like your pictures they can comment and "Hype" your picture. The more "Hype"'s you get, further up in the list you will move. In this way the members are graded.

This I call Narcissism at it's best, or actually WORST. I can see no depth in this "community" what so ever, can hardy imagine any shallower community. On top of it all, not everyone can join the community, you either have to receive an invite or apply for one. In this way some kind of exclusiveness is upheld.

The main point with fashion is its continuous evolution or metamorphosis. This means that you should always keep up, and those who don't fail, thus creating a strong class structure. Here one can see a strong fascistic tendency that fashion possesses by its mere existence, it is inevitable.

Lookbook.nu is the first nominee for my yearly commodity fetishism award. I wonder if any of the users even think about how they are reduced to objects, (from human to object, it goes so fast!) for the market and the industry. I guess it's called pop culture. ;-) Using this site is a easy way to gain some kind of respect without really doing anything, just upload some pictures and maybe you can gain some respect.

I think sites like this is really a strong indicator of the project of the individual, that characterizes our time.

BTW. tomorrow I'm going to London.

No comments:

Post a Comment